Marlborough man sentenced to six and a half years for rape
Main article content
A man from Marlborough has been sentenced to six and a half years in prison for a rape that he committed almost a decade ago.
Robert Miles, 37, of Rabley Wood View, Marlborough, was sentenced this morning (Monday) at Swindon Crown Court after being found guilty by jury at the end of a trial on September 29.
In 2014, Miles assaulted his victim in a private house. It took her five years to get the courage to report the crime to the police, and the events of that night have had a lasting effect on her.
In a victim impact statement she said: “I have, at all time, low self-esteem. I feel my quality of life has been greatly impacted in many ways by what Robert has done to me.”
Detective Constable Clare Sylvester-Wyness said: “Its been a long and gruelling time for the aggrieved person in the case of Miles. The trial has been set four times previously but has been rescheduled due to the covid pandemic and the barrister strike. I would like to thank her for her bravery and courage to seek justice.
"We would urge anyone who has been a victim of sexual assault to come forward and tell someone, even if the offence took place some time ago. We understand it can be difficult. You might not be completely sure what happened or how to talk about it, but we have trained officers and partner organisations that are here to listen and work together to support you in any way we can.
“Importantly, your information could help us bring the offender to justice and make sure you, and other people in a similar situation, are kept safe.”
The trained staff there can give you confidential medical help and advice. They can also gather evidence for you to use at a later date, if you decide to report the assault to the police. They won't contact the police unless you want them to.