If you need advice about your rights after buying goods or services or if think a business has broken the law you should contact the Citizens Advice (CitA) Consumer Service  which provides advice on behalf of Trading Standards.

The CitA Consumer Service will give you free expert advice on any Trading Standards issue. 

The CitA Consumer Service will inform Trading Standards of any possible Trading Standards offences including:

  • doorstep crime (rogue traders, sometimes referred to as cowboy builders, who knock at the door offering to carry out work or selling goods)
  • scams
  • selling fake or counterfeit items (e.g. tobacco, cigarettes, clothing, footwear, electrical items)
  • selling unsafe or dangerous items (including unroadworthy vehicles)
  • misleading selling
  • high pressure or aggressive selling
  • selling short weight or short measure items (including petrol, alcoholic drinks and food).

You can contact the CitA Consumer Service by calling 03454 040506 or contact the CitA online

Doorstep crime should be reported to the police as well as Trading Standards. 

If you suspect someone of selling fake or counterfeit items on social media report the post directly to social media platform (e.g. Facebook) as well as Trading Standards.

If you suspect someone of selling stolen goods please contact police on 101.







Print Share