If you suspect you've been a victim of fraud involving credit or debit cards, online banking or cheques, you should report it to your bank or card company.

They are responsible for undertaking further investigation and reporting criminal activity to us where appropriate.

Fraud that doesn't involve your bank or card company should be reported to the business or organisation concerned. Depending on their advice, you may then need to report this to us on 101.

Where an additional crime has been committed with the fraud, for example, you have had your wallet or purse stolen or the card used fraudulently was taken as a result of a burglary, then this should still be reported to us on 101.

Some steps you can take to protect yourself:

  • Make sure you keep a record of all communications.
  • Get a copy of your personal credit report from one of the credit reference agencies - Experian, Equifax and Call Credit. A paper version of your report is available from £2. If applications for credit have been made in your name you can ask to have any incorrect information removed.
  • Consider contacting CIFAS - the UK's Fraud Prevention Service, to apply for protective registration. Once you have registered, CIFAS members will carry out extra checks whenever anyone applies for a financial service using your address.
  • If you suspect mail theft, contact the Royal Mail Customer Enquiry Number on 08457 740740 or visit their website

If you are a victim of card fraud or online banking fraud you have protection through legislation, which states that you will not be liable for any losses unless you have acted fraudulently or without reasonable care.

Action Fraud can provide help and information online or by calling 0300 123 2040.

Print Share