Landlord and tenant disputes

Landlord/ tenant relations are a very complex area of law and the following advice is only to be used as a guide. For more complete advice you should contact the Environmental Protection department of your local authority.

The proper procedure that a landlord must follow to legally evict a tenant is:

  • A legal written notice
  • A court order for possession and
  • A bailiffs warrant (to be enforced by a County Court bailiff).

Until all these three steps have been taken, the tenant has a right to stay in the property.

Private renting tenants eviction guidance from GOV.UK

Advice for landlords on evicting tenants from GOV.UK

Neighbour complaints and boundary disputes

Neighbour complaints can take many forms. Please contact us about the specific nature of the issue/complaint and we can advise further.

We do not have the power to deal with boundary disputes. This is a civil issue and you need to seek the advice of a solicitor to resolve any boundary issues you may have. It will be worthwhile contacting your bank or building society (or whoever holds your deeds) to check the boundaries.

Your property boundary information from GOV.UK

House parties and illegal raves

If your neighbours are having a noisy house party, we have no powers of prosecution for noise offences. You need to contact the Environmental Health Department of your local authority.

If you believe that an illegal rave is taking place then contact us.

Some signs to look out for are:

  • Groups of cars and young people gathering in unusual places such as industrial sites, small villages or remote rural areas
  • Interest in certain remote, rural sites such as quarries, particularly by people that look out of place or you wouldn't expect to see
  • Cars and vans delivering generators to rural locations.

Report a noise nuisance problem to Swindon Borough Council

Report an issue online to Wiltshire Council



Print Share