Top ten tips to keep your home secure
- Lock your doors and windows every time you leave the house, even when just in the garden. And make sure you have approved locks or bolts to all doors and windows.
- Never leave a spare key in a hiding place like in a plant pot or letter box - a thief knows all the hiding places
- Mark items without serial numbers with an artificial DNA property marker such as Smartwater or SelectaDNA. Or register them with The UK National Property Register using the link to the right,
- Use a timer to set lights to mimic your usual activity when you are not at home.
- Do not open the door to anyone you don't know or are not expecting. Always check by using a spy-hole or look through a window. Don't trust an ID card.
- Trim back any plants and hedges at the front of your property to no higher than one meter to remove hiding places.
- Always report any suspicious activity, note any vehicle registrations, descriptions of persons involved and direction of travel.
- Consider installing a monitored burglar alarm, and only use a company that is registered or certified with the NSI or the SSIAB.
- Take photographs of all jewellery including hallmarks and keep them safe. Make sure that you have up to date contents insurance.
- Keep all keys, purses and wallets out of sight and away from the letterbox.
These days many people have CCTV fitted at their home and we are encouraging them to take out a free subscription to Community Messaging and register if they have a system fitted. You may have a video door bell or an external camera covering the approach to your home and either could be invaluable in helping us fight crime in your area.
Use this link to sign up to Community Messaging. It's free to join and you can change your preferences at any time.