How are the police involved?

The police have a shared responsibility for managing sexual and violent offenders when they are released from prison into the community. This is done in partnership with probation staff and prison staff as well as other agencies such as social services, housing and health.

The process is known as the Multi Agency Public Protection Agreements (MAPPA).

What does MAPPA help agencies to do?

  • Identify who may pose a risk of serious harm and the extent of that risk
  • Share relevant information about people who may pose a risk of serious harm to other partners (such as landlords or head teachers)
  • Develop risk management plans to protect victims and the public and reduce the risk of further harm
  • Protect previous and potential future victims.

What type of offenders does MAPPA manage?

  • All registered sex offenders
  • All offenders who receive a sentence of twelve months or more for a violent offence, or for the small number of sexual offences that do not require the offender to be placed on the sexual offences register
  • Any offender whose previous offending and current behaviour suggests that they may pose a risk of 'serious harm' to others.

What happens with the highest risk offenders?

  • The few offenders who pose the highest risk are referred to a multi-agency public protection panel, and are regularly scrutinised by senior representatives of those agencies involved in offender management.
  • The panel has a wide range of options available to them, including the power to make offenders live in probation hostels.

Who checks it's all working?

  • Reviews are carried out by a strategic management board who assess how public protection arrangements are working in each local area.
  • Each board has senior manager representation from each agency and two members of the public, appointed by the Secretary of State, who act as lay advisors in reviewing and monitoring the arrangements and help with improving links to communities.

Other than the police, who is involved in MAPPA?

  • Youth offending teams
  • Job centre Plus
  • Local education authorities
  • Local housing associations and registered social landlords
  • Social services including Children's services
  • Strategic health authorities
  • Care Trusts and NHS Trusts
  • Electronic monitoring providers.

Useful links

See the links on this page for some further reading

Print Share