There's no excuse for bullying and harassment

Unfortunately it still exists and now that more communication is done online it has spread to the web too.

It can affect people of all ages and anyone can be a potential bully. There are many different types and it affects people in different ways including fear, depression, illness and stress.

Cyber bullying can sometimes be worse than face to face bullying as there is often no clue as to who is bullying you and from where:

  • Comments, images and videos about a person can be posted online and cyber bullies can hack into their  victim's personal accounts to harass them
  • Cyber bullies often feel braver because they think they are able to hide easily - once they're caught there is a clear trail of evidence
  • Sometimes people who wouldn't normally bully someone in person might do it online.

When to report bullying to the police:

No matter how bad bullying can seem, it's often not a crime so even though you might the police should be involved it is often best dealt with by parents or teachers.

However, there are some types of bullying that are illegal and should be reported to us. For example where it involves:

  • Violence, physical or sexual assault
  • Theft
  • Harassment and intimidation (such as abusive texts and emails) over a period of time
  • Hate crime.

Getting support

Being bullied can feel like the worst thing in the world. You may feel alone or even think that you're responsible. You're not. The most important thing is not to keep it to yourself.

  • Talk to your parents/teacher/tutor or other adult you trust
  • Keep a diary of all incidents from the bully which make you feel uncomfortable or upset (with dates and times, copies of any emails / texts, recordings of mobile phone calls etc.)
  • Organisations such as BullyingUK, and ChildLine offer a wealth of advice and you don't have to give your name to them if you don't want to.

Useful links

BullyingUK - you can find out about about bullying or download an app

ChildLine - for confidential support and advice. You can also call 0800 1111

Print Share