In this section:

1. What is an abnormal load?
2. When and who you need to notify
3. How to notify


You can use Highways England's free Electronic Service Delivery for Abnormal Loads (ESDAL) to notify the police, road and bridge authorities. 

You need to register with ESDAL and this can take 2 to 3 working days.

Travelling through more than one police force area

'If your abnormal load will travel a route which passes through more than one police force area, you need to notify each force. ESDAL can send notifications to each force for you, as well as to all the required road, bridge and other authorities.

List of UK police force websites