From 1st March we will no longer take reports of lost property, or take in found property, except in certain circumstances.

The decision is in line with a national move approved by the National Police Chief's Council (NPCC) last year after discussions between police forces.

Lost property we will record

  • Firearms, ammunition, explosives or other weapons
  • Poisonous, toxic or other dangerous chemicals
  • Any foreign passport or other foreign identity document

Found property we will receive and record

  • Any amount of cash.
  • Anything that contains personal or sensitive data either electronically or in print (such as mobile phones, laptops, digital camera or diaries - to protect the data from fraudulent use)

All other items of found property should be dealt with by the finder, and items of lost property should be recorded appropriately with bike register in the case of pushbikes. Please see the links in the related documents section on this page.

We've put together a series of questions below to help you get to the information you want. Please click on the buttons below to start.

Lost Property

Found Property


What will police still take a lost report on after 1 March 2019?

What should the public do if they have lost something else?

What if they need a crime reference number or certificate of loss for their insurers?

Print Share