What is anti-social behaviour (ASB)

There are three main categories for antisocial behaviour, depending on how many people are affected:

  • Personal antisocial behaviour is when a person targets a specific individual or group

  • Nuisance antisocial behaviour is when a person causes trouble, annoyance or suffering to a community

  • Environmental antisocial behaviour is when a person's actions affect the wider environment, such as public spaces or building

When to call Wiltshire Police

  • If you experience personal anti-social behaviour


  • A crime is in progress
  • You fear a crime is about to be committed
  • The behaviour is taking place in an area that is protected by an order that prohibits that behaviour

In most cases you will report this to us on 101, if a crime is in progress or it is an emergency call us on 999.

When to call your local council

Wiltshire Council and Swindon Borough Council are responsible for taking reports of nuisance and environmental anti-social behaviour, and can provide you with a diary for recording recurring behaviour to help get a court order.

Report any recurring anti-social behaviour to the council, or visit their website.

Wiltshire Council: 0300 456 0100

Report noise nuisance to Wiltshire Council

Report other ASB to Wiltshire Council

Swindon Borough Council: 01793 445500

Report noise nuisance to Swindon Borough Council

Report other ASB to Swindon Borough Council

Before calling

If you feel confident to challenge the behaviour, do so as the person may not be aware of the impact their behaviour is having on others. 

Help the police and local authority by gathering together any evidence or keeping a diary of the behaviour.





Print Share