This information charter sets out the standards that you can expect from Wiltshire Police when we request or hold personal information about you; how you can get access to your personal data; and what you can do if you think standards are not being met.
About personal information
Personal data is information that relates to living individuals. It does not include information relating to groups or communities of people, organisations or businesses. The Data Protection Act 1998 regulates the management of personal data. We need to handle personal data about you so that we can provide services for you. This is how we look after that information.
When we ask you for personal information, we undertake:
- to make sure you know why we need it
- to only ask for what we need, and not to collect too much or irrelevant information
- to protect it and make sure nobody has access to it who shouldn’t
- to only share it with other organisations when the law allows
- to make sure we don’t keep it longer than necessary, and
- not to make your personal information available for commercial use without your permission.
In return, we ask you to:
- give us accurate information, and
- tell us as soon as possible if there are any changes, such as a new address.
This helps us to keep your information accurate and up to date.
To obtain more details on:
- what information we hold about you and how to ask us to correct any mistakes
- agreements we have with other organisations for sharing information
- circumstances where we can pass on your personal information without telling you, for example, to prevent and detect crime or to produce anonymised statistics
- our instructions to staff on how to collect, use and delete your personal information
- how we check the information we hold is accurate and up to date, and
- how to make a complaint.
Address: Force Disclosure Unit, Wiltshire Police, London Road, Devizes, SN10 2DN
Telephone 101 extension number 7203663
For independent advice about data protection, privacy and data sharing issues, you can contact the Information Commissioner at:
Address: Information Commissioner, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF.
Telephone: 0303 123 1113 or +44 1625 545745
Fax: 01625 524510