As with most things, the steps that you can take to make your vehicle more secure and less likely to be stolen or broken into are simple ones;
- The safest place to park your car is in a locked garage. If this is not possible use the driveway of your home or the road immediately outside your home.
- In a town centre the safest place to park is in a car park with a Secure Car Park or Park Mark award. Try to park in a well lit area, even if parking during daylight, it may be dark when you return to your vehicle.
- Lock the doors, windows, boot and sunroof every time you leave your car - however briefly.
- Remove the keys from the ignition every time you get out of the car, even if it is in your drive.
- Install an alarm, immobiliser or other security device and remember to use them!
- Do not leave anything of value in the vehicle whilst it is unattended. This includes satellite navigation systems, mobile phones, laptops, handbags and jackets. If it is unavoidable, turn all electrical items off and place in the boot.
- Leave the glove compartment open to show there is nothing of value stored within.
- If your vehicle has alloy wheels, get them permanently marked and have your registration number etched onto all windows.
- If your stereo is removable, remember to take it with you when you leave the car. If not then security mark it and register the serial number with Immobilise.com
In order to deter thieves from breaking into your vehicle, download the following card and place it on your dashboard.