Cycles are a popular target for thieves because they can so easily be stolen and sold on.
- Always lock your cycle whenever you leave it even if you are just going to be a few moments.
- Mark the frame with your postcode and stick on a 'Coded Cycle' sticker to let thieves know. If the cycle is stolen it will help police to identify the owner, police have thousands of unclaimed unidentified bicycles.
- Record all your bike's details so that if your bike is stolen and then recovered, we will be able to match it to the description.
- Register your bicycle with bikeregister.com or similar registration company www.bikeregister.com
- The best kinds of bicycle locks are made of a loop of solid metal. Chains deter casual thieves but can be easily cut with the right equipment.
- Always lock your bike to something solid like a lamp-post or railings. If you have quick release wheels, take off the front wheel and lock it to the frame and back wheel. An increasing number of bus and railway stations have secure shed where you can lock your cycle, safe from crime, and the weather!