A great deal of plastic card fraud can be prevented if cardholders take simple steps to protect themselves and remember some key points:
- Treat your cards like cash.
- Always check your bank and credit card statements carefully - report any unusual transactions to your bank or card issuer immediately
- Store personal information securely and dispose of it carefully
- Rip up or shred documents that contain personal, sensitive or financial information
- Keep your PIN secret, don't write it down and keep it with your card, don't tell it to anyone else and never let anyone else use your card and your PIN
- Report lost or stolen cards or suspected fraud to the issuer of your card immediately. There will be a 24 hour emergency number on your statement. If your card is stolen there is a list of emergency numbers including useful advice on credit card fraud at www.cardwatch.org.uk.