The Local Resilience Forum was established in June 2004 as a requirement of the Civil Contingencies Act 2004 (CCA) and they replaced the previously existing Major Incident Co ordinating Group.
The following agencies are represented on the group:
Police, British Transport Police, Fire, Ambulance, Wiltshire County Council, Swindon Borough Council, Primary Care Trusts, Health Protection Agency and the Environment Agency. All are classed as Category One Responders under the CCA. In addition the Military are also represented together with a representative from the Government Office South West. Other agencies known as Category Two responders (Utilities Companies etc) may be co opted onto the group as and when required.
The aims and terms of reference of this group are:
To co-ordinate effective and efficient integrated emergency management arrangements within the County of Wiltshire and Swindon.
Terms of Reference
1. To establish a strategy for co-operation and the sharing of information in order to facilitate the effective completion of risk assessments and plans.
2. To direct a programme of joint risk assessments and review, in order to identify the range of emergencies faced in the LRF area.
3. In light of those risk assessments, to set priorities and tasks for multi-agency contingency planning, and to ensure that those priorities and tasks are achieved.
4. To endorse joint contingency plans.
5. To provide policy direction on the public dissemination of risk assessments and plans.
6. To promote joint training and exercising for all responding organisations in the Wiltshire Area.
7. To establish principles for advising, warning and informing the public before, during and after an emergency on a multi-agency basis across the LRF area.
8. To promote mutual support for the business continuity arrangements for individual responding agencies.
9. To co-ordinate Wiltshire’s LRF strategic input into the Regional Resilience Forum.
10. To liaise with adjacent LRFs and agree procedures for mutual aid.
11. To determine the priorities for, and receive reports from the sub-groups established by the LRF.
12. To provide the nucleus for the Strategic Co-ordinating Group in the event of an emergency.
LRF Sub Groups
Much of the work of the LRF is conducted by its many sub groups who all have responsibilities to identify, risk assess, plan and prepare for emergencies across the Wiltshire and Swindon area.
Some of this work is reflected in the production of a number of LRF documents:
The Joint Incident Procedure Guide
Hazardous materials Guide
Work is also carried out in a number of other areas in relation to the establishment and running of Temporary Mortuaries and Mass Casualty arrangements.
The CCA also requires the production of a Community Risk Register a version of which can be viewed by clicking on the above link.
Training Sub Group (Chaired by Fire)
Information, Communication and Technology Sub Group (Chaired by Police)
Risk Assessment Sub Group (Chaired by Fire)
Hazards Profiling Sub Group (Chaired by Primary Care Trust)
CBRN Sub Group (Chaired by Health Protection Agency)
Health Sub Group (Chaired by Primary Care Trust)
VASEC (Voluntary Agencies) Sub Group (Chaired by Swindon Borough Council)
Local Authority Sub Group (Chaired by Wiltshire County Council)
The Department of Health Emergency Preparedness Coordination Unit website.