The Police Support Volunteer Scheme is a new initiative currently being developed to run alongside the recruitment of the Special Constabulary. The programme is an exciting and valuable opportunity for Wiltshire Police to develop stronger and closer links with our community.
A Police Support Volunteer is
someone who, through personal choice, commits time and energy to perform a task at the direction and on behalf of the organisation. They agree to do this without the expectation of compensation or financial reward, except for the payment of pre-determined out of pocket expenses.
We are looking for Police Support Volunteers who care about their community and would like to help make their local area a safer place to work and live. The pressures on a modern police force are enormous and Police Support Volunteer roles will be designed to enhance the work of the police and provide additional support in the areas where the volunteer lives or works.
Police Support Volunteers can assist Wiltshire Police in a variety of roles across many parts of the business, helping us to improve our capacity for work, and allowing employed staff to concentrate their time on core tasks. This is vital, especially within our Neighbourhood Policing Teams where Police Support Volunteers will be able to release officers to police their area allowing them to focus on frontline policing duties. The voluntary roles will supplement but will not replace paid staff and a wide range of tasks to suit the individual will be available. Some examples of how Police Support Volunteers can support Wiltshire Police are:
- Assisting Neighbourhood Policing Teams in administrative tasks, such as liaising with victims of crime, conducting research, developing newsletters and assisting the Force Press Office with Media Releases (plus much more).
- Opening Community Points/Neighbourhood Policing Team Surgeries.
- Providing administrative support to officers and staff, including filing, photocopying, typing, inputting data onto crime systems, etc.
- Assisting with crime prevention and community safety initiatives.
- Providing administrative support and specialist skills, e.g. languages and IT skills.
- Helping with PR and media work, including sending out press releases, taking photographs, etc.
- Supporting Community Watch Schemes and liaising with specific sections of the community e.g. pubs, shops and businesses.
- Assisting in web design.
- Supporting Criminal Justice Units by improving service delivery to victims and witnesses.
- Monitoring Closed Circuit Television Cameras (CCTV).
- Cleaning and checking police vehicles.
Please contact us if you would like any further information about the scheme;
Please can the telephone number be amended to 0845 408 7000 ext 720 2255 and email address HR.BusinessCentre@wiltshire.pnn.police.uk