Twitter Facebook RSS feeds Google+

You can use the accessibility toolbar below to do the following:

  • Point at text and have it read out to you
  • Select text and save as a MP3 audio file
  • Highlight text to make more prominent
  • Increase or decrease the font size

For a more detailed explanation of how this toolbar works click on the question mark button.


Intermittent service notice

ADVANCED NOTICE OF WEBSITE DOWNTIME Due to planned maintenance, our website will be unavailable from 8pm on Thursday 29 January 2015 until 8am on Friday 30 January. Please contact us via 101 for all non-emergencies, such as reporting a crime. For all emergencies please dial 999. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to find out the latest information about Wiltshire Police. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.
Alcohol & entertainment licensing PDF Print E-mail

This section is designed to provide details of how to contact licensing staff within Wiltshire Police and to provide information relating to licensable activities as defined by the Licensing Act 2003.

Licensable activities are defined by the Act as:
• The sale by retail of alcohol
• The supply of alcohol by or on behalf of a club, or to the order of, a member club
• The provision of regulated entertainment
• The provision of late night refreshment.

The Police are, alongside a number of other public service organisations, defined under the Act as a ‘Responsible Authority’.

This enables us to object or make representations in respect of the most types of licence application should the police believe that the proposed activity does not promote the licensing objectives.

The objectives are:
1. the prevention of crime and disorder,
2. public safety,
3. prevention of public nuisance, and
4. the protection of children from harm.

Licensing Officers are the main point of contact within the Police for all matters related to licensed premises; as well as dealing with applications on behalf of the Chief Officer of Police. They also work closely with police officers and police community support officers to identify premises which can be attributed to high levels of crime, disorder and anti social behaviour.

In a crime prevention role they can offer advice, guidance and signpost to other organisations such as the Security Industry Authority. At the enforcement level licensing officers advise senior officers on the tactical options available.

Partnership work plays a key role in maintaining safe, viable night time economies and licensing officers provide support to Pubwatches, Community Safety Partnerships and their colleagues in Wiltshire County Council and Swindon Borough Council licensing departments. In addition they work with Trading Standards tackling the sale of alcohol to persons under 18 years old and Wiltshire Fire and Rescue in ensuring that premises are safe.

Full information on licensing legislation can be obtained through the Home Office

Within Wiltshire Police’s Crime Prevention Department there is a Licensing Team responsible for both Wiltshire and Swindon Authority areas.

The following members of staff make up the team across the Force:

Force Licensing Manager - David Bennett
Telephone – 101 ext 38355
Trowbridge Police Station Polebarn Road Trowbridge Wiltshire BA14 7EP

North Area Licensing Officer (Swindon & Highworth) – Sian Kalynka
Email -
Telephone - 101 ext 760417
Swindon Police Station Gablecross Divisional Police HQ Shrivenham Road South Marston Swindon SN3 4RB

Central Area Licensing Officer (Chippenham; Trowbridge; Devizes; Marlborough and surrounds) – Jacqui Gallimore
Email -
Telephone – 101 ext 38355
Trowbridge Police Station Polebarn Road Trowbridge Wiltshire BA14 7EP

South Area Licensing Officer (Salisbury; Amesbury; Warminster and surrounds) Sue Thurman-Newell
Email -
Telephone – 101 ext 37742
Salisbury Police Station Bourne Hill Salisbury SP1 3UZ

The Licensing Authorities:

The Licensing Authorities for Wiltshire and Swindon are bodies within each Council. If you need to contact a Licensing Authority details are:

Telephone 0300 456 0100

Tel: 01793 445500