Corporate Communications is responsible for helping to provide a support service and information to the public, our officers and staff, stakeholders, partner agencies and broadcast, print and online media.
This includes information relating to incidents, crime, events, operations, campaigns, collaborative work with partner agencies including councils and other forces and supporting specific internal communications needs.
The department is based at police headquarters in Devizes and has four areas of expertise. These are E-Communications, Internal Communications, Media Services and Public Relations, with additional graphic design and administrative support.
Where possible Corporate Communications will look to provide consistency, clarity and the effective use of resources and funding by adopting a joined-up approach with other partner agencies on communicating with the public and other audiences.
- Web design and technical development services for the Wiltshire Police website
- Consultation, advice and guidelines for the organisation and staff on web usage, including social media activities
- Solutions and the development of new concepts for the force which are in line with the force's policing priorities
- Advice, design and build services for the Wiltshire Police staff intranet
- Assistance in the development of intranet content and finding new ways of using the intranet to address internal business needs
Internal Communications provides:
- A corporate support service for internal communication needs
- Expertise and support in planning and implementing communication to officers and staff on specific issues
- Guidance and advice on internal communications issues relating to operational policy, projects, major incidents and the strategic development of Wiltshire Police
- Coordination of regular staff surveys and Chief Officer and managerial briefings
- Production of an internal staff magazine, firstbeat, on a quarterly basis
Media Services provides:
- A comprehensive media liaison and handling service
- A 24/7 on-call facility to support operational demands
- Support to help liaison between officers and journalists and manage media interest when issues or major incidents arise
- Joint work with other departments, stakeholders and partner agencies to plan for emergencies and critical or large scale incidents
- A press office service for journalists and regular briefings between the Chief Constable and senior Editors
Public Relations provides:
- The development and implementation of a range of public relations activities that support the achievement of both corporate and national policing objectives
- Support for specific campaigns at divisional, corporate, regional and national level
- Design and content services for information booklets, leaflets, posters and other documents
- Support for organisational events; for the public, Wiltshire Police officers and staff and jointly with other agencies
- Expert communications advice, guidance, support and training for neighbourhood policing teams